Screw Pile Installation
Are you building a structure that requires a secure foundation and sturdy structural support? Are you located in the Brantford, Hamilton, Burlington, Kitchener/Waterloo, Greater Toronto, or Southern Ontario area? If so, then you’ve come to the right place! Mascore, Inc. specializes in structural and foundational support and is regarded as the helical pile experts in the area. For more than 10 years, we have been the go-to source for residential, commercial, and industrial helical pile installation. Our highly trained technicians are masters of geotechnical engineering. We have an exceptional understanding of soil conditions and possess all of the necessary tools and supplies to provide all of the clients with expert helical pile installation services that not only meet their needs, but exceed them. What are helical piles? What advantages do they provide? Read on to learn more about this highly reliable and advanced form of foundational support.
What are Helical Piles?
Helical piles, also known as helical anchors, earth anchors, screw piles, screw anchors, or simply “helicals” are a piling and ground anchoring system. They’re used in numerous residential, commercial and industrial applications that require deep foundational support, such as elevated construction, underpinning, and construction in marine and flood-prone areas. Some examples of when helical piles are the ideal structural support solution includes:
- Elevated construction
- Elevated rail lines
- Construction in flood-prone areas
- Construction in earthquake-prone areas
- Underpinning of unstable foundations
- Support for existing buildings when construction in the surrounding area disrupts surrounding soil
- Soil conditions have been altered
- Retaining walls
What Do Helical Piles Do?
The primary purpose of a screw pile is to provide sturdy foundational support for various types of structures. They’re entrenched deep underneath the ground, allowing the weight that sits on top of the piles to be evenly dispersed.
Usually, several piles are installed, which creates a platform for a building, bridge, or any other type heavy structure to sit on top of. When helical pile foundation systems are designed properly and installed correctly, they can support the tallest and heaviest buildings, platforms, roadways, bridges, and various other types of structures.
What Are Screw Piles Made Of?
Usually, screw piles are made of steel that’s fashioned into square or round hollow shafts. They are made in a variety of gauges and diameters and can be constructed to suit the specific projects they’re intended for.
The process of creating a helical pile usually involves welding one or several screw threads into a shaft, which provides excessive downforce to the soil while the pile is screwed into the ground.
A shear lug sits at the top of the pile; machine-drive hydraulic-powered rotary attachments are attached to the shear lug, which drives the pile into the ground.
How to Install Screw Piles
Helical piles are very similar to an ordinary screw being wound into a piece of wood; however, in their application, the wood is replaced by soil. They piles placed over the ground and twisted down using heavy machinery that’s fitted with hydraulic rotary attachments; examples of the types of machinery that are used to install helical piles include skid-steer loaders and 5 tonne excavators.
As they’re twisted, the shaft of the screw pile recedes below the surface ground. Extra extension segments are then attached using bolted couplers, which are also screwed into the soil.
Sections of helical piers are then connected with bolted couplings. The depth that the piles reach is determined by the density of the soil. The end result is a screw pile that can extend tens and even hundreds of feet underground.
Often, the screw pile alone will meet load requirements; however, for projects that require deep foundation support, concrete (or grouted) column is also used.
With a grouted column, concrete fills the column after the steel shaft and displacement plate are positioned. This process creates a reinforced pillar that will be strong enough to withstand extreme forces.
Benefits of Screw Piles
As mentioned, helical piles are used in a variety of applications where a solid foundation and sturdy structural support is paramount. The most obvious benefit that this foundational equipment provides is durability; if installed properly, they can withstand extensive force, and in turn, the structures that are attached to them can also withstand extensive force. In addition to superior durability, helical piles also provide a variety of other benefits, including:
- Rapid installation. Compared to other types of foundational support, such as standard concrete, screw piles take a fraction of the time to install.
- Excavation-free. No excavation is required, which further increases installation speed.
- Instant use. Helical piles can be built on as soon as they’re installed. There’s no curing time, so construction can commence as soon as the foundation is ready.
- Minimal footprint. Screw piles are the perfect foundational support in areas that have limited space; for example, next to buildings that are already standing.
- Flexibility. Screw piles are custom-designed to meet the needs of each project, so they can accommodate any space, soil, and load-bearing requirements.
- Eco-friendly. These foundational support systems are much more environmentally friendly than concrete foundations, as soil disruption is minimal.
- No down time. Unlike concrete, which can only be poured when the conditions are right, helical piles can be installed in any temperature and any weather, which means there’s no down time for your construction project.
- Cost-effective. Minimal excavation, no down time, rapid installation, and flexibility all combine to make helical piles a highly cost-effective foundational support system; especially when compared to other types of foundations.
Contact Mascore for All of Your Foundational Support System Needs!
Given all of the benefits that helical piles provide, it’s easy to see why they’re the go-to structural support system for all types of applications. If you’re interested in learning more about helical piles or you want to discuss an upcoming project, contact Mascore Helical Piles. As the leading screw pile installer in the greater Ontario area, you can count on our team of geotechnical engineering experts to exceed all of your foundational support needs.